The International Community School (ICS) is a public charter school in DeKalb County, Georgia serving students in grades K-5. ICS was strategically designed in 2002 to bring together refugee, immigrant and local children in an academically challenging and nurturing environment. Today, the school serves more than 400 students annually representing more than 30 nationalities and speaking 25 languages.
The International Community School is an International Baccalaureate World School that educates refugees, immigrants and local children, and provides a rigorous and holistic education in an intentionally diverse community of mutual learners.
The International Community School seeks staff and families who are committed to our vision of creating a supportive community of students, staff and parents, learning from each other and celebrating diversity among us.
ICS Statements of Understanding
We understand that each member of our community (staff, family, and student) is unique and essential to our life together.
- We believe that everyone is inherently able to learn and it is our collective responsibility to nurture the unique genius of every person.
- We believe in educating the whole child – their physical, intellectual, social, emotional, cultural and creative selves. Teaching in a culturally responsive lens, we view socio-emotional development as important as promoting academic excellence.
- We encourage expression through maintaining home languages, fostering fluency in Standard English and offering opportunities to learn other languages.
- We welcome and engage with people of various identity differences including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, faith and political affiliation.
- We are preparing children to be global citizens who take action and work toward social justice in their communities.
- As a beloved community, we approach complex issues with strong communication, collaboration, perspective, respect and active listening.
I contribute to a legacy and my voice and actions matter.