At The International Community School, we intentionally value diversity. In that spirit, every year we celebrate United Nations (UN) Day. UN Day is a celebration of the more than 30 cultural and ethnic groups and 25 languages represented at our school.
You can’t miss our annual celebration on Friday, November 2nd, 2018.
As U.N. Day approaches, here are a few details to keep in mind:
– Students come to school at the regular time, already dressed, ready for the parade.
– Time: If parents and visitors are not volunteering before the parade starts, please arrive by 9:30 am. This will ensure you get ample time to park and be ready along Medlock Rd. The parade will start promptly at 9:45, leaving the school, towards Medlock Rd.
– Getting here: the following streets around the school will be closed to traffic, 9:30 – 10:30 am, while the parade takes place. Detours will be marked. See the map.
*Wood Trail Lane from Gaylemont Cir. & to Desmond Dr.
*Medlock Rd. at Woodridge Dr.
*Lancelot Dr. at Scott Cir.
– Parking: Parking is available at Medlock Park and adjacent streets. Please be sure not to block neighborhood driveways or other vehicles.
– Weather: Follow the weather forecast close to the date and plan accordingly, since most of the celebration will take place outside. It can get bright during the performance so bringing sun glasses is encouraged.
– Potluck: We will not have the ability to heat up the food, so warm or cold dishes are recommended. Parents will be receiving food from 7:30 am until 9:15 am. We ask that parents in each class provide drinks (juice boxes/water bottles) for the kids, so they don’t have to carry this from the potluck to the classrooms, where they will eat.
– Volunteers are needed setting up and decorating the day before in the afternoon, setting up the performance and lunch areas.
On Friday morning, setting up chairs, receiving food, serving lunch to students, and cleaning up after the event. If you can help, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080A45A8A62CA0FA7-undaypotluck or contact Ms. Claudia at school.
– Dismissal: Once lunch is finished, students can leave with their parents. There will be no After School Program on that day. Students who will take the bus home will leave at 2:00 pm. Please pick up your children by 2:30 pm.
A general run-through of events will be as follow:
The festivities start with the “Parade of Nations” at 9:45 a.m. This is a march through the Medlock community proudly showcasing our children’s traditional clothing and the flag of the country they are representing: From the United States of America to countries in different corners of 5 continents in our world. Plan to arrive by 9:30 a.m. so you have time to park and enjoy the parade from the beginning.
After the parade, we will have our “Celebration of Nations” at the back of the school, where our students will entertain us with presentations, songs and dances.
Around 12:00 pm, we will have a “Potluck Luncheon”. What better way to show internationalism than through food and fellowship. We are asking parents to bring a traditional dish from their family/country. Each dish should provide a sample portion for 20-25 people per each grade level your children attend. Keep in mind that the school has no opportunity to heat or refrigerate dishes, so plan accordingly.
Once the meal is concluded, students should depart with their parents. There will be no After School Program. Students who will take the bus home will leave at 2:00 pm from school.